Friday, May 30, 2008

The Bike Disease


My obsession with the bicycle which I commonly refer to as "the bike disease" has now taken on a new strain. Apparently just commuting nearly every day on the fixed beast wasn't enough for me. Now I'm set on donning the spandex and learning how to race too. Of course, that meant acquiring a new (to me) bike. It's a beautiful celeste green Bianchi Campione road bike that's roughly 15 years old. It's not as light and fast as the new carbon bikes with top grade components, but it should be good enough to get me started.

I'm going to start training with Team C.I.C.L.E. as much as possible and hopefully I can start getting into some actual events soon. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to brave the "Montrose Ride." I feel like I've already come a long way fitness wise just from commuting all the time and crushing those Los Feliz hills with just the one gear at my disposal, so hopefully I'll be able to keep up better than I did on my humbling attempt at the Wolfpack Hustle last week. I got dropped like a bad habit around mile 6, and limped home with my tail between my legs. Now that I've worked out the bottom bracket issues on the Bianchi, I should be able to bring it next time and make a better showing. I hope.

No comments: