Friday, May 9, 2008

Rising Gas you Say? Bring It On!

With the risk of sounding way to pleased with myself, I must say that all of this talk of rising gas prices is having the exact opposite effect on me than it appears to be having on the majority of my fellow Americans. I'm down to driving one day a week in "the Beast," and while we still take Tam's Mariner on the occasional jaunt, I spend very little time behind the wheel these days. U-oh, SMUG ALERT!!

Oh well, I just don't care if it sounds snooty. Bring on the high gas prices! Sure I might have to pay a little more at the grocery store, but all the more reason to but locally anyway. And if getting the squeeze at the pump is what it's going to take to get people to realize that our dependence on oil is one of the biggest problems we face, and that WE have to take that knowledge and DO SOMETHING about it, then so be it!

Yes, there are alternatives to traveling by car.  Yes, even in L.A. And guess what? You don't have to be an Olympic athlete to use a bike as major source of transportation. Just educate yourself and get on that saddle. The rest will take care of itself.


No comments: