Friday, August 1, 2008

Dawn Of A New Century

There's been a lot of stuff a' brewin' lately. My time in the saddle has continued to remain at ridiculous levels. With my first "century" coming up (100 mile bicycle ride), I've been trying to log ever longer rides on the weekends, in addition to the daily commutes. I'll even sneak in a couple of Griffith Observatory runs on weekdays on the way to work too. Today my muscles are twitchin' a' plenty. I've taken the Red Line a couple of days this week to help give them a rest.

The picture above is of a fellow cyclist named Mauricio, who besides being the original owner of "The Toothpaste Special," is also somewhat of a badass in the saddle. We did Bicykillers last Thursday and rode from Hollywood to the beach and back on Saturday. It was a great ride for me. That's the first time I've ventured that far west (as far west as I can go on my bike). It was kind of weird seeing sand on my tires for the first time. One un-fun part of the ride was realizing what horrible shape Venice Blvd. is in. I've driven on it countless times but of course, riding on it is something else entirely. Lots of fun potholes, cracks and rough asphalt that had my hands singing with pain. We took Washington back up through Culver City on the way back, which was much kinder to us.

So with just two weeks until the Cool Breeze, I'm going to try and log as many miles as I can, especially since Tam and I will be up in Sonoma this weekend. Great bike riding country up there. Too bad the bike stable isn't portable...yet.

No comments: